//Lethal watermelon poisoning in Moscow raises many questions

Lethal watermelon poisoning in Moscow raises many questions

On Friday, September 10th, three people were hospitalized in Moscow after they ate a watermelon from a local grocery store of the Magnet retail chain. The grandmother and her granddaughter died, the condition of another woman was stabilized. Later, the number of those people who suffered from watermelon poisoning increased to eleven.
It became known that traces of ethylene glycol were found in the blood of the victims. This substance is used as an ingredient in the production of brake fluids, glass cleaners and antifreezes.
Ethylene glycol is a dangerous chemical, the consumption of which, even in small quantities, can lead to severe poisoning and death. However, specialists say that the chemical may lead to a lethal outcome only if taken with food or tap water.